Sherman County Historical Society and Museum
Open Daily 10 until 5 May through
Sherman County Historical Society (SCHS)
80% of the Director’s time is allocated to museum-specific management and tasks, and 20% is allocated to support for the Board of Trustees in its stewardship role, other SCHS projects and with overall administration and planning for the organization.
- Responsible for day to day operations of the museum by planning, developing and executing museum and visitor services including tours, special exhibits, gift shop and programs.
- Ensure high standards of professionalism in all areas of museum operations.
- Supervise and schedule staff and volunteers.
- Ensure that all staff and volunteers have appropriate orientation and are appropriately supported to undertake the responsibilities they have been given.
- Devise annual and long range development plans for the museum in cooperation with the Board of Trustees.
- Establish and sustain a system of determining SCHS fundraising and grant submission priorities.
- Engage the board in seeking contributions from donors, businesses, and foundations, and by participating in special events, annual giving, membership drives and other fundraising events and programs.
- Research, develop, write and submit all proposals, letters of inquiry and grant applications.
- Assure compliance with terms of funding as projects are implemented.
- Prepare required progress reports to funders.
- Ensure appropriate communications with all donors (funding and artifacts).
- Supervise and work with volunteer Collections Management Team to assure donations are properly accepted and documented, including compliance with state and federal laws.
- Assist volunteer Exhibit Team with planning, development, production, and installation of new or changed exhibits.
- Implement policies to ensure sufficient documentation, preservation and security of museum collection are maintained.
- Recommend new policies as appropriate to the SCHS Board of Trustees to ensure preservation and security of museum collection.
- Serve as chair of the Acquisitions Committee.
- Facilitate the work of board and volunteer committees with planning, publicity, and execution of special and annual events.
- Ensure that SCHS implements a marketing and communications plan that is updated on a regular basis.
- Coordinate all public relations, with participation of Board of Trustees.
- Work with board president to prepares media material and interface with the media
- Coordinate content and graphic design of newsletters, website, Facebook page and other marketing materials.
- Work with board president to serve as spokesperson for the museum.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations to advance SCHS Mission.
- Attend all board meetings.
- Supervise the volunteer Museum Team.
- Ensure that board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it, through regular status reports on museum operations and activities.
- Assist Board of Trustees’ effectiveness by working with board president to prepare agendas, policy drafts, and minutes.
- Ensure development and maintenance of sound financial practices.
- Develop draft annual budgets for board discussion and approval.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal state and local regulations.
- Keep abreast of developments in the museum field.
- Support the board to advance SCHS’ mission by ensuring that the organization has a sound short term action plan and long range strategy.
Specific Goals for Fiscal Year 2012:
(To be updated by Board of Trustees a minimum of once annually.)
- Launch new exhibit of the Sherman County Journal collection of printing artifacts by May 2012.
- Make significant progress in implementing ILMS MAP recommendations
- Complete low cost/free action items in 2012
- Develop funding to implement remaining recommendations in 2013
- Strengthen engagement with local community
- Develop strategy for off-season activities to engage local community
- Update and begin implementation of new marketing plan (existing guiding plan dates from 2004)
- Fill key vacant volunteer team positions and update volunteer orientation/management practices as appropriate
- Develop long range goals and strategies for 2013-2015.
- Establish fund raising strategy and goals.
- Continue to further integrate and coordinate the work of the SCHS Board of Trustees and volunteer teams.
Executive Director | Position Notice | Executive Director Job Description