Sherman County Historical Society
A Brief Review of the Society's History
Founded in 1945, the Sherman County Historical Society's mission is to gather, preserve, research, interpret, exhibit and publish materials related to the history of Sherman County.
In 1982, the American Legion Post in Moro donated their building for use as a Museum and required that one room therein was to be reserved for patriotic and military exhibits. The Society opened the Museum in the summer of 1983, the only public historic preservation organization in the County.
The Society has published a twice-yearly newsletter, The Plow, and a popular twice-yearly historical anthology, Sherman County: For the Record, since 1983.
A new wing was completed in 1993 with our first interpretive exhibit, Oregon Trails, Rails and Roads and a connecting lobby entrance with The Museum Store and Visitor Information Center.
The Society is the 1994 recipient of the American Association for State and Local History's prestigious Corey Award for vigor, scholarship and imagination shown in the work of small volunteer-operated history museums ... something like an Oscar for this category!
In 1996, work began on our second interpretive exhibit, Wheat through the Ages and, as with the first, we worked with scholars funded by the Oregon Council for the Humanities.
A new building completed in 2001 houses our third interpretive exhibit, Cultivation, Conservation and Clothespins, taking our story from horsepower to electricity and motors!
The Museum comprises 15,902 square feet holding over 15,000 artifacts used by Native American families, Oregon Trail pioneers, rural households, churches, schools, businesses, livestock producers, conservation-minded dry-land wheat farmers, and military personnel.
Works in progress include the preparation and production of the Sherman County Journal print shop exhibit.
Sherman County, Oregon: The Land between the Rivers!
Sherman County School District, Library and Pre-schools