Our Mission is to gather, preserve, research, interpret and exhibit objects and materials related to Sherman County.
The History of the Sherman County Historical Society
The SCH Society was formed on July 4, 1945, with a picnic held at the park in Moro. 14 people gathered that day to organize a historical society. First Officers elected on that day were Theodore Johnston, President; E. D. McKee, Vice President; Mrs. Theodore VonBorstel, Secretary; and A.H. Barnum; Treasurer. Giles French was chosen as Historian. President Theodore Johnston planned that the first Historical Society picnic be held at DeMoss Springs Park on June 2, 1945. 386 people signed the guest book that day! From the very beginning it was the dream of the society to someday have a museum in Sherman County.
37 years after becoming the first President for the SCHS, Theodore Johnston, a member of both the Chris Schultz Post #71 of the American Legion and the SCHS, arranged for the American Legion Post to deed their building over to the society to be used as a museum for the SC. The building had served as Legion Hall and community center for the town of Moro. One of the few conditions that the Legion members had when deeding over the building to the Historical society was that the society reserve a place in the museum to record and display the military history and patriotism of SC residents past and present.